Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Moto Guzzi... Do they still make those? Yes, yes they do

So, Why the Guzzi?

Well for the most part, it's completely inverse of the Ural.  They are like mechanical Yin and Yang.

The Goose is absolutely the most passionate machine I have ever owned and that says something because I have had my share of machines.  It has a level of intensity that permeates everything in its vicinity. You don't merely start or "turn on" this bike.  You literally bring it to life when you put in the key.  It reciprocates by bringing the same to you when you settle into the saddle.  

It has an explosive symphonic growl that is simply unique.  If you were to try to visualize the sound, it would be as if it were a star at the brink of going super nova.  Sticking with that theme; when you twist the throttle it is like the M1 Nebula… it just keeps expanding with this explosive force that feels as though you are going to be hurled across the universe. 

Where the Ural turns heads by its unique visual presence this bike turns beds by its voice.  When I was at Speed Week this guy comes running out of the store at a gas station with his buddy to get a glimpse of the bike.  He told me he was an AMA tech inspector and how he loved the unique sound of a Guzzi.  He was right, nothing sounds quite like a Goose.  He kept saying, "Man I heard you downshift and pull up to the pump and knew.  THAT HAS TO BE A GOOSE".  He was elated to see one on road. 

The design; well it's artistic yet comfortable.  I can ride it all day and still feel fresh.  At your very first gaze you realize it has its own shape and it is not merely a copy of every other half-naked sport bike.  The closer you look the more finesse in engineering you will see. from the fasteners to the fairing brackets.  Yes... even the brackets on this bike have style and functional style at that.  

More importantly to me is its character.  The combination of all of those things brings a unique character to this bike.  It is what drew my father to love Moto Guzzi's many years ago.  I can remember him coming home with a flyer for a new Eldorado and telling me all about the engineering of the transverse V-twin and the shaft drive.  I remember him proclaiming that it was the Maserati of motorcycles.  He was right.  He never was able to own a Moto Guzzi because shortly thereafter he had a stroke which prevented him from ever riding a motorcycle again.  I know he rides with me every time it comes to life.  He would have loved this machine.

Sidetrak'n worthy?  You bet!  It too is a catalyst for dialog.  The people that walk up are either "in the know" or they want to be.  Either way, they have a story and are interested in yours.  For example the other day I stopped to say hello to Cookie Kelli and enjoy a fine Chocobloc Cookie (a somewhat religious experience, i might add) and Jim the Corvair guy was captivated by the Goose which resulted in a 20 minute conversation about all things mechanical and philosophical.  Brilliant. 

So thats it, passionate, absolute, dependable and unassuming yet stylish enough to a sophisticated taste. I guess it's just a mechanical reflection of what I aspire to be.  

Twisting somewhere--jp

No comments:

Post a Comment